Happy New Month!
I was going to ask how the month is starting for you but first I’d like to ask, how did last month go for you? Were you able to achieve your goals for last month? Did you even set goals?
In other words, was it a productive month, or was it just another busy month for you? If you had a productive month then good for you, but if not, then you have another opportunity with this new month and I’m sure you don’t want it go by just like every other month.
There’s a difference between being productive and being busy. Being busy is doing things, while being productive is doing the right things. This simply means that you can be busy doing nothing or busy doing the wrong things.
I remember days when I used to be frustrated over spending the whole doing irrelevant things and then at the end of the day, I’d realise I’ve accomplished nothing. Has this ever happened to you too?
If you are wondering whether you are being productive or just busy, here are some warning signs are very obvious, but often ignored;
- You don’t seem to have time for anything , yet you spend your time accomplishing little to nothing.
- You have a lot of tasks on your to-do list but you have not ‘completed’ any of them.
- You have too many people to meet and so many things that needs your attention. And you spend your time trying to meet each one of those needs. The things is you can’t to everyone and everything, so it’s best you carefully select things that are actually worth your time.
- You engage in a flurry of activity all day but at the end of the day you can’t really say what you did all day.
- You are doing other people’s work, instead of your own – You spend all day doing other people’s work, and then you end up not doing yours.
Now that we are done with the signs, let’s get down to reasons.
There are several reasons why you seem to be busy, but aren’t productive. I noted a few here;
1.Lack of clearly defined purpose;
When you don’t have clearly defined purpose or vision, you don’t really know what you’re about so you follow whatever catches your attention at the moment.
2. Lack of discipline;
Sometimes a person isn’t busy because they’re addicted to it, they’re busy because they’re not disciplined enough to use their time well. Sometimes we are guilty of this.
4. You’re Multi-tasking;
You get overwhelmed and then you try to do so many things at the same time. Multi-tasking will produce low quality results.
3. You are not focused;
You cannot really stay on one task until complete. Every time you start something or feel like you have a good flow going, someone or something suggests something better and then you abandon it.
5. You’re constantly distracted by the internet;
You spend most of the time on your phone instead of doing something realistic and productive. We are all guilty of this, even me.
6. You are afraid;
You are afraid of starting that project or riding on that journey, because you fear you might be wrong or might fail.
7. You are only doing unimportant tasks first, because they are easy. And procrastinating on vital tasks can be good for building productivity.
8. You are doing other people’s work, instead of or before yours. You are supposed to get vital tasks done first, before taking on additional tasks.
Now that you’ve seen the warning signs as well as some of the reasons why you seem to be too busy but aren’t productive, you must wondering how you can solve this problem.
I’ll share some tips on how to be more productive and less busy in the part 2 which is likely to be the next post.
I hope you enjoyed this post, please do leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post.
PS: I’ve be preparing for my exams which will be commencing on Monday, and that is why I’ve not been consistent.
With Love, Lydia